Welcome to the anglican
St John the Baptist, Whitbourne,
in the diocese of Hereford at WR6 5RS
The church dedicated to St. John the Baptist is the
largest of the four churches in The Parish of Greater
Whitbourne. It once served Whitbourne Court, one of the
Summer Palaces of the Bishop of Hereford in days gone by.
It still has a small choir, and a faithful army of
cleaners and flower-arrangers. The ring of six bells (now
rung using an electronic device, and occasionally "live")
date from 1717, and there is an unusual combination of
windows in the South Wall. Arboriculturalists will be
interested by the gingko tree in the churchyard.
Whitbourne itself is just one of a group of six former
parishes which make up the Parish of Greater Whitbourne.
There are four churches still in use and lovingly cared
for, the church at Wolferlow having been made redundant,
and at Tedstone Wafre now being a private dwelling.
The living is currently "Suspended" - that is, the
search for a new incumbent is not being actively pursued -
but we are very fortunate to have Rev'd Dawn Hyett as our
Interim Minister from 6th November 2016, ably assisted by Rev’ds
Doiran Williams, Andrew Bullock, and Jan Webb.
[The Rural Dean has legal responsibility for the Greater
Parish during the Interregnum.]
Please send comments, suggestions, contributions etc. to
Tel: 01886 853 661
Together we can make this an increasingly useful and
valuable resource. IF YOU THINK UPDATES HAVE BEEN
FORGOTTEN, TELL THE WEBMASTER