PLEASE VISIT THE GREATER WHITBOURNE HOME PAGE FOR ACCESS TO THE WEEKLY NOTICES, SERVICE, READINGS, HYMNS ETC!
Edvin Loach NEWSLETTERS
There are two churches in Edvin Loach, the old ruin (now
in the care of English Heritage) and a few yards away the
current church built in Victorian times. They are
perched on the hilltop at the highest point in the parish
which commands fine views of Clee Hill and the Long Mynd
to the north and the Malvern Hills to the south.
Visitors frequently leave comments on the splendour and
peace of the site.
The Saxo-Norman church of St. Giles was built in the mid-1000s, lying just inside the inner bailey of the Norman ‘bailey and motte’ castle. A painting of 1851 displayed just outside the ruin shows it late in its life. A big lintel stone is said to be a sacred relic. Originally the church had no tower, which was added in the 1500’s, and only two very narrow Norman windows. After complaints from a rector with failing eyesight in 1663 a third was installed. The big square windows of which traces remain were added in the 1700s. Once services moved to the new church, the old building rapidly declined, and probably would have disappeared by now had not English Heritage, following a local initiative, stepped in to the rescue in 1970.
The new church was designed by the most renowned architect of the time Sir George Gilbert Scott, in the Victorian gothic style of which he was champion. It was paid for by the local landlords, the Barneby family of Saltmarshe Castle (which was pulled down in 1953). The church is notable for its light and airy atmosphere created by the high roof and the whitened walls and ceiling showing through the scissor beam structure, also for the two enormous columns which, unusually, support the east side of the steeple.
Edvin Loach itself is just one of a group of six former
parishes which make up the Parish of Greater Whitbourne.
There are four churches still in use and lovingly cared
for, the church at Wolferlow having been made redundant,
and at Tedstone Wafre now being a private dwelling.
The living is currently "Suspended" - that is, the search for a new incumbent is not being actively pursued - but we are very fortunate to have Rev'd Dawn Hyett as our Interim Minister from 6th November 2016, ably assisted by Rev’ds Doiran Williams, Andrew Bullock, and Jan Webb. [The Rural Dean has legal responsibility for the Greater Parish during the Interregnum.]
Services are mostly held on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 3.0 pm. The website diary gives extra service dates. The patronal service, early in September, usually begins in the ruin.
Please send comments, suggestions, contributions
etc. to John
Bland Tel: 01886 853 661
Together we can make this an increasingly useful and valuable resource.
IF YOU THINK UPDATES HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN, TELL THE WEBMASTER or Deputy Webmaster!
This page last updated on 21st September 2021 by John Bland